Thursday, June 13, 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: Kelly Rowland, 'Talk A Good Game'


The cover art for Kelly Rowland's new album 'Talk A Good Game'.


     Right, so let's get this straight right off the bat. Kelly Rowland is one of the most talented artists in the business. First of all, she's absolutely gorgeous, I mean look at her (above). That bi-atch is HOT! Secondly, she was one of the members of the greatest girl group of all time (in my opinion), the amazement that is Destiny's Child. Lastly, she can actually sing, and she's currently (as always) KILLING IT on her new album 'Talk A Good Game'. Although officially not out in the good ol' USA until Tuesday, June 18th (that's Tuesday, June 18th people. Don't forget), it LEAKED online yesterday, giving her Rowland Stones a chance to hear the album. Although I'd usually wait for the album to come out, as I believe it's nice to almost "follow an artist's wishes" sort of thing, I just couldn't wait any longer. From all the hype that's been going on the last few months, along with the releases of singles 'Kisses Down Low' and 'Dirty Laundry', and Kelly performing 'Gone' with Wiz Khalifa, I was 100% ready to hear this album, and let me tell you, it does NOT disappoint! 
     Below is my review of the album, from the good, to the better, to the BEST. Let's just say that I was defo buying this album anyway (on what day is that again?) and now I'd consider myself dumb if I didn't. The leak contained the 15 song (Deluxe Version) of the album, but it's the clean version (which I'm not into, I like to buy the explicit stuff). For those of you living in the USA, Kelly is releasing a Target exclusive edition (obviously, at Target) which will include 2 extra songs (at least that's what Wikipedia says). These Target exclusives haven't been announced yet, so at least there will be some extra surprises on what's that date again? Oh yeah, June 18th. Anyway, here's the review below, let me know what YOU think in the comments!

Album Review: Kelly Rowland, 'Talk A Good Game'

1) Freak (4/5): This song gives off an electric sort of feeling, but it's a slow, chilled track that is a great entrance into the album. Kinda reminds me of her old stuff, and for some reason I can imagine this as a theme song to some action film. The only down side is that I don't feel a BANG, but in all fairness it's probably not best to have the first song of the album be the climax. You want to lead up to the climax, not start off with it and then the rest of the album go on a downward slope. All in all, a nice opening and introduction to 'Talk A Good Game'. 

2) Kisses Down Low (4/5): The song that's been on the R&B charts for months now, this track is dirty, sexy, and HOT. Which is why I LOVE this song, it's the perfect R&B hit. This song clearly acknowledges Kelly's target audience, as the theme of this song is definitely NOT suited for a younger audience (I'm hoping most kids wouldn't know what the song means, but these days who knows?). Listen to the song here: 


3) Gone featuring Wiz Khalifa (5/5): One of my absolute faves from this album, gone is perfectly perfect in every way. Kelly, Wiz, the whole Joni Mitchell shout-out. Although Mitchell's 'Big Yellow Taxi' has been re-released by other artists countless times (to the point where it's just annoying now), Kelly only uses a snippet of the chorus, which I think ultimately adds to the song's greatness. It's even better live, which we had the pleasure of seeing/hearing when Kelly and Wiz performed it live on Jimmy Fallon's show. Watch the performance here and bask in the future-classic that is 'Gone':


4) Talk a Good Game featuring Kevin Cossom (3.5/5): Overall, 'Talk A Good Game' is a pretty good song, it just doesn't go past good for me. I dunno, I feel like it's one of those songs that I'd listen to if it pops up on shuffle or on the radio, but I wouldn't seek it out, especially with all the other songs on the album that I personally find more superior. Again, not a bad song, but it's not an amazing song. It's almost like a generic R&B song to me, but remember, this is just me and it may end up being a fan favorite. I'll probably just have to give it a couple more listens, it may be a grower.

5) Down On Love (3/5): Again, like 'Talk A Good Game', 'Down On Love' seems to sound like a bit generic in the vast pool of R&B songs. What 'Down On Love' doesn't have is Kevin Cossom, who at least slightly upped 'Talk A Good Game' in my rating, as he added a little something extra. Alas, this may be a grower and so we'll see after a few listens. Just to repeat myself, it's definitely NOT a bad song, but it's not amazing either.

6) Dirty Laundry (5/5): There's more scandal in this song than a night out with Lindsay Lohan! Kelly really releases her soul into this track, speaking about a past, abusive relationship and a little (or a lot) of  jealous feeling towards her Destiny's Child CO-STAR (sometimes people forget that) Beyoncé aka Queen Bey *Bow Down*. As Bey was clearly the so-it-seemed frontrunner of DC, little attention was given to Kelly, and I always kinda wondered about the dynamics of their friendship. Well, know we know! One of the best and most personal songs on the album, this song in my opinion is the start to that all important climax. Listen to the track here:



7) You Changed featuring Beyoncé Knowles and Michelle Williams (5/5): Okay, you're probably thinking that I only gave this song a 5/5 because of Queen Bey and Michelle, but hey, it's actually a great song! 'You Changed' is a track that I can definitely imagine hearing on the radio. It's a great modern R&B hit, and I think if released as a single, I can see this song climbing the charts. A definite gem in a sea of, well, other gems on this album. Listen to 'You Changed' here:


8) I Remember (4.5/5): Obviously, Kelly's holding onto this album climax, cause 'I Remember' is another amazing track. The drum beats add such a dance feel to the song, even though it's a semi-slow song overall. It's quite interesting to listen to, and it's almost as if it combines a slow R&B track with a dance track. It's nice song, and I can definitely imagine listening to it in a club, and I really hope someone will remix this song UP.

9) Red Wine (4.5/5): Kelly's dishing them out now! Another great track, 'Red Wine' takes me back to the 90's music scene. I mean, that beat! The song intro! Total 90's R&B. This song was on repeat today when I was driving along to the mall, a definitely summer cruising jam.

10) This Is Love (4/5): This song follows the other string of amazement and continues Kelly's chain of album hits. Let's just say it's nice on the ears. It's got a little generic R&B stuck in there, and yet I don't know why this one stands out to me over the others, like 'Down On Love' or 'Talk A Good Game'. It's just a nice song. I think it could definitely be a single possibility.

11) Street Life featuring Pusha T (4.5/5): Some Afro-beats, old school Hiphop sounds, and a little feature from Pusha T definitely make this song an awesome addition to the album. The first line, when she talks about her baby-daddy, that got me hooked. Pusha's rap also adds some flair, making this song less R&B and more Hiphop. I'm loving the horns as well, nice touch Kell-bell.

12) Stand In Front Of Me (4/5): Okay, so this song is pretty frickin' awesome, and let me tell you why. It reminds me of some really old school R&B, and I'm hearing some striking similarities to 'Tears On My Pillow' (made famous by the Aussie superstar/pop princess that is Kylie Minogue). I'm LOVING it. Mixed in with the old school are some modern verses with some Kelly flair. Another great tune Ms. Rowland.

13) Sky Waker featuring The-Dream (4/5): Kelly Rowland and The-Dream. Of course this song was gonna be great. Enough said. "I'm so ATL. I'm so Houston. Can't you tell?"

14) Put Your Name On It (3.5/5): Another semi-generic R&B track. You can kinda tell that it's a bonus track, it's not single material. It's not amazing, but after a few listens it catches on. It just can't compare to some of the stunners on this album, and who can blame it? Some of these tracks are pure tunage!

15) #1 (4/5): To be perfectly honest, I don't really know why this is a bonus track and not actually on the "normal" album. It's a really nice track, and keeping with the recurring theme of shitty men in Kelly's life (or in general), this talks about a man cheating on his woman. The theme isn't new, but this is actually a really nice song to listen to. One of those songs you could easily listen to by the pool, or in the car, or in bed, or anywhere really. Again, Kelly, WHY is this just a bonus track (meaning it probably won't even get the chance of being a single)?

     So that's that. I think we've established that Kelly Rowland is a superstar. Yeah, there are some songs that don't stand out, but is it really the song, or is it just that the other songs are so damn good!? Here's the rundown:

Album Highlights: 'Gone', 'Dirty Laundry', 'You Changed', 'Red Wine', and most of the others.

Who should buy this album?: EVERYONE! There really is a little something to satisfy any R&B/Hiphop fan's taste.

     REMEMBER: Target is offering their 'exclusive' edition of the album featuring a couple extra, TBA songs, so be sure to check back here on Tuesday, June 18th (cause hopefully I'll have it and can review those extra tidbits). Now, get your wallets ready, and buy this album!!! What's that date again?

You can pre-order the album here:
iTunes: pre-order
Amazon: pre-order

-mDav




No comments:

Post a Comment